Resources Needed to be Successful in Moodle
LCU is a Windows campus.
For best results use a PC Windows device. It is recommended that computers are updated to the latest Operating System (OS) and that updates are run weekly at minimum.
- Students may use updated Mac devices with the understanding that there may be a difference in instructions, updates, and system requirements; not all activities will function as expected
- Chromebooks or other devices that operate on the Chromebook OS are not recommended due to the device and OS limitations.
- While tablets may work for some activities, they may not work for all requirements.
Microsoft Office: Current versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.
- Provided at no additional cost: Go to office.com > sign in with your LCU email and password > Install Office 365 products.
Lifesize Video Conferencing: Attend virtual course sessions, virtual faculty office hours, and virtual club meetings through Lifesize meeting links.
- Course meeting extensions are located in the Technology Support section in Moodle courses and in the Instructor Information block of each course.
The listed specifications are not requirements but are recommended for optimal use.
- Devices with more memory and a larger SSD drive will process faster, allow more storage for both files and programs i.e., 16GB Memory or more, 256GB SSD
- The latest and more powerful processors tend to run faster, use less energy, and increase upload times. Some programs will not function with older processors.
- Operating Systems: generally business or pro editions offer more functionality than home or student editions
In courses students may be required to join virtual meetings, record presentations, demonstrations, role-playing, etc.
- You will need a camera, mic, and speaker. In some devices these are integrated, others require external hardware.
- If connecting an external webcam, mic, speaker, etc., ensure that the device contains the correct type and kind of ports to connect.
- "Allow" camera, mic, and speaker access as prompted when using recording or virtual meeting software
Browser and General Information
- Access Moodle through Mozilla Firefox or Chrome for best results; other browsers may be limited in their function. Download browsers if not on device.
- Update your browser and computer/devices weekly
- Allow pop-ups in your browser settings
- Make a strong wifi connection (turn off other devices if your connection is poor)
- Connect to power source or have full battery